By now, I think we’ve all heard the terms COVID Body, Quarantine-15, etc. Personally, I am refusing to accept that for myself.
When COVID first happened, I was feeling really down because working out at the gym, going to spin, and taking Pilates classes are a part of my regular routine. I had fitness goals and resolutions for the year – dammit! And now, you’re telling me I have no where to work out and an unlimited amount of time to watch Netflix and chill?
It was not a good situation. I was feeling so gross and lethargic. I had to make changes fast because as I’m approaching 40, my body is not able to rebound the same way that it used to after drinking all that wine and eating all those chips.
And so, I decided to make a change. Here are 5 apps I discovered that have helped me improve my physical and mental fitness during lockdown. A lot of them have free trials during COVID, so there’s nothing to lose in checking them out.
- PELETON– I love everything about this app!
- World Class Instructors: The instruction is top notch. The teachers are super inspiring and they know what they’re talking about.
- Wide Variety of Classes – which includes Meditation, Strength training, Cycling, Running, Yoga and Stretching.
- Ability to track Stats: The ability to track your speed, power output and the number of classes taken is amazing.
- Awesome Music! If you’re into music, the playlists are all shared.
- Low Impact – It’s a way to get that high intensity cardio and it’s gentle on the joints. If you have bad knees like me, spinning strengthens the ligaments and the muscles around the knees.
You don’t need their bike to use the app, you can use it on it’s own or with a different setup. Also, the convenience of being able to just hop on the bike whenever you feel like is pretty cool. There is a community component where you can high five your friends, and/or join live classes together if you are into that.
- Geared towards Women – It used to be called the bikini body workout. And there are workouts that include prenatal, post natal, yoga, strength building, etc. There’s a progression so that even if you have never worked out before, it starts you out slow and there is lots of options to vary your workout if you ever plateau.
- Super effective + Transformative – I love High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). For my body, I see physical change very quickly. I used to write out my programs to go to the gym, but this app will tell you what exercises to do, and show you how to do them. There is a progress section, where you are encouraged to take photos of yourself and upload them into the app every week. There is also an instagram page where you can see other members of the community sharing their inspiring fitness stories.
- “The reason HIIT is so effective is that it produces excess post-oxygen consumption, or EPOC. EPOC raises your resting metabolic rate for twenty-four hours or more after your training session. In other words, it turns your body into a fat-burning machine.”
- Fast – It’s a quick and short workout which can be done in 30-45 minutes. Right now, they are offering home based workouts with minimal equipment needed.
- Nutrition Advice – There is a food component, that gives you recipes to make nutritious well balanced snacks and meals.
3. FITBIT – A great way to manage multiple tracking devices. I use use the Charge 3 watch combined with the ARIA scale for watching my weight. The scale sends the information into the app and I’m able to see fluctuations in my weight over time in chart and numeric form. I used to avoid weighing myself after eating badly, because ignorance is bliss, right? Being on top of my weight keeps me on track and helps me to avoid allowing my weight to get out of control.
4. MYFITNESSPAL – tracks calories, macros and water. I like it because when you input your food, it tells you if you ate this way every day, you would weigh ____, in x number of weeks. This is motivating for me because, it makes me realize how easy it is to overeat if I’m not careful.
5. PILATESANYTIME – I am passionate about Pilates and a self-professed Pilates nerd. Pilates anytime has so much information that can inform you on anatomy, rehabilitation, foam rolling, etc. If you are wanting a low impact exercise that can inform you of proper movement and postural patterns that are healthy for you to do – this is it. Pilates gives me the foundation to move properly and functionally. It’s an exercise that provides long, lean muscles and helps activate the core muscles and protect the lower back. I could go on and on about Pilates, but I’ll stop here. The classes are great and well filmed! Lots of workshops offered on various topics such as scoliosis, back pain and even the business of being a Pilates teacher.
Those are the 5 apps that have helped me lose 8lbs and 2.3 % in body fat. I am excited to say that I am not far from my ideal weight. I wanted to share this with you in case you are looking for a change in your physical fitness.
I’m hoping to come out of COVID healthier and stronger than before. And if I can do it, I believe anyone can 🙂 Are you with me?
Have you discovered any great apps during COVID? I would love to hear.
Did you enjoy this article? If yes, please LIKE and SHARE it with someone who you think might benefit from it. Let’s support each other in our wellness + fitness 🙂